New desktop software version (7.6.33)

Tristan Olive ID: 22 Posts: 384
16 Jul 2018 09:18 PM

A new version of the Charity Engine desktop software can be installed on 64-bit Windows systems. We welcome any feedback on the process to download and install it and also would like to address any issues or improvements you notice while running it.

If you want to install it, you should be able to use the Add Computer link from your account dashboard page. 

Thanks for any thoughts you want to share!

DocH ID: 526372 Posts: 77
18 Jul 2018 02:59 AM

Hi Guys!

Well, the update installed just fine on both My Win 10 and Win 7 PC's...but does not want to play nice on a PC running Win 8.1.

Not quite sure what is wrong with the Win 8.1 PC bu will continue to try and get it updated.

It keeps saying it can't find the install files and directory.

Will try again tomorrow and report back here!!

Thanks,

Ed

19 Jul 2018 03:46 PM

Thanks for giving it a shot, Ed -- is it possible the Win 8.1 system is 32-bit? It seems unlikely, but could explain install files or directories not being where the installer is looking. 

Also, did you try manually uninstalling the old software? I'd be curious as to whether that works or if that helps the new install.

19 Jul 2018 09:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions...

I verified that it is 64-bit and all the systems updates from MS are installed.

Will uninstall all of the exsisting BOINC and CE software and give the install a try again.

Thanks and will report progress!!

Cheers

Ed

01 Oct 2018 07:37 PM

Greetings!

I am still having no luck getting the updated version to run on My Win 8.1 PC.

I have verified that it is indeed a 64bit version of Win 8.1 with all updates installed from Microsoft.

I have tried everything I know to get it up and running ( In the past the PC has run CE with no problems)...when I try to both un-install the old version it keeps saying It can't find the install files and directory..Not sure what to do next.

Thanks,

Ed

03 Oct 2018 07:52 PM

You may be able to unstick the old version with a Windows utility... if you do a web search for "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility 7.2", you should find somewhere to download it. 

This utility won't remove the old Charity Engine desktop software, but it cleans up the configuration files for the installer (which apparently is pointing to files that don't exist). At that point, you should be able to install the new version.

Another approach would be to install the old version again in order to uninstall it cleanly before installing the new version. You can find version 7.0.80 here, if you want to try that: https://www.charityengine.com/files/client/ce_7.0.80_windows_intelx86.exe